Are Gel Blaster Balls Toxic To Dogs: The Dangers Of Water Beads

Learn the risks of leaving water beads around your home and how it can affect your beloved pet. Find out if gel blaster balls are toxic to dogs!

Full size dogs

Gel blaster balls are toys that many people enjoy playing with, but they can be dangerous to dogs if ingested. Gel balls are small, squishy balls that expand in size when exposed to water. Gel blasters work by firing spherical pellets that absorbs moisture and quickly expands.

The beads safely pass through the barrel and splatter on impact. While these balls are not toxic, they can cause serious problems for your dog if swallowed. In this article, we will discuss the dangers of gel blaster balls to dogs and how you can protect your pup from harm.

What is a Gel Blaster Ball?

Gel blaster balls are small, squishy dehydrated balls that you shoot from a toy gun. When soaked in water they expand in size. These toys have become increasingly popular among children and adults alike, due to their amusing and unique nature.

When dry, the gel blaster ball is about the size of a pea and is soft enough for cats or dogs to pick up in their mouths. However, when wet, it will swell up into a larger ball approximately two inches in diameter—large enough that it can't be swallowed by an animal.

Gel balls are a type of toy ammunition that is commonly used in toy guns, also known as gel blasters that are similar to paintball guns. Made mostly of water and a special type of biodegradable polymer, these round beads can absorb moisture and be stored safely for many years.

Water Beads
Gel Ball And Gel Beads

When fired from a gun, the balls compress and then expand again, allowing them to pass safely through the barrel without causing any damage to people or animals. If a dog ingests one of these gel balls, it is important to seek advice from a vet immediately as they may expand and cause serious harm.

To ensure your pet’s safety, all gel balls should be stored properly and out of reach. The entire family should use caution when playing with toy guns using gel balls and always clean up after each session to ensure no stray balls are left behind.

Are Gel Balls Edible

No. Gel balls, also known as water beads, are not edible. They're made from a superabsorbent polymer (SAP) which has been cross-linked with chemicals, and is designed to absorb many times its own weight in water.

The chemical structure of the SAP components makes them highly unlikely to break down in the digestive process of most animals or humans so they would pass through the body unabsorbed and undigested.

In addition, there may be potential health risks associated with ingesting these products such as choking on them. Therefore it is safest to avoid eating gel balls.

Are Water Beads Toxic For Pets

No, water beads are not toxic for pets. They are actually often used as a unique and fun form of decoration or play. Water beads are non-toxic polymer crystals made from an environmentally friendly material called sodium polyacrylate that slowly absorb the moisture around them to form small round gelatinous balls.

The material is non-toxic for animals when ingested and poses no harm to plants or animals when handled correctly. Additionally, water beads promote proper growth of plants due to their ability to retain up to 400 times their weight in liquid which helps provide necessary hydration for your furry friends' home!

Orbeez beads
Cuddly Friends

Possible Consequences of Ingesting a Gel Blaster Ball

The main concern when it comes to ingesting a gel blaster ball is the potential for intestinal blockages. If swallowed by your pet, the expanding gel ball can create an obstruction in their digestive tract which can lead to vomiting, diarrhea or other severe complications such as dehydration or even surgery if left untreated.

Additionally, if the gel ball becomes lodged in the throat area of your pet’s body before being passed through the digestive system then there is also the potential risk of suffocation due to swelling tissue around it constricting airways or blocking them completely.  

It’s important then that owners take steps to ensure their pets don’t get hold of any gel blaster balls and take appropriate action if they do suspect ingestion has occurred.

Orbeez balls expanding time lapse

How To Protect Your Dog From Ingesting a Gel Blaster Ball

The best way to protect your dog from ingesting a gel balls is through prevention—keep these toys away from pets at all times! Make sure these items are stored securely where pets cannot reach them and keep an eye on them while they're being played with outdoors so you know exactly what's going on at all times.

The broken pieces of a splatted balls shouldn't pose any risk to your pets, and they should dissipate pretty quickly. If you think your pet has already ingested a gel blaster ball, contact your veterinarian and take them in for an examination right away.

Dog eating
Food Dish

Symptoms To Look Out For And Seek Veterinary Advice Immediately

If you see any signs that may indicate your dog has ingested a gel blaster ball such as vomiting/diarrhea/lethargy or decreased appetite then contact your veterinarian immediately for advice on what steps need taking next.

Depending on the severity of symptoms and individual circumstances you may be advised to take further action such as bringing them in for emergency care or monitoring at home with regular checkups depending on the situation at hand—always seek professional advice first though!

Safety Tips For Handling Gel Blaster Balls Around Dogs

Remember that prevention is key when it comes to protecting pets from danger—so here are some tips for safe handling around animals:

  • Always store them securely out of reach.
  • Avoid using them outdoors where curious animals might find them.
  • Never leave pieces lying around after playtime.
  • Keep an eye on kids while they're playing with them (they should also be supervised!)
  • Dispose of unused ones immediately instead of leaving them around where pets may access them later down the line!


Gel beads may seem like harmless fun but they can pose serious risks to our furry friends if ingested - leading potentially life-threatening consequences such as intestinal blockages and suffocation!

As responsible pet owners we must ensure that these items remain out-of-reach and only used under supervision during playtime - so our pooches stay safe! If you suspect ingestion has occurred then seek veterinary advice immediately so appropriate steps can be taken quickly - no matter how minor symptoms may seem initially! Remember - prevention is key!! Stay safe everyone!